A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is one of the most beneficial and resourceful forms of professional care that those grappling with alcohol addiction can utilize in their recovery. This particular level of treatment is ideal for those who do not need to reside at a treatment facility but who still need regular, constant support in their recovery. Clients in PHP alcohol treatment typically go for therapy each day and spend the majority of their time at the facility. During this time, they participate in therapy and other exercises that help them solidify their recovery as much as possible.
For those experiencing alcohol addiction, getting treatment is absolutely vital. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), only about 7.2% of Americans with alcohol addiction sought treatment in 2018. Alcohol addiction is a treatable condition, but without seeking the appropriate care, it is deadly.
What is Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction is a disease where an individual compulsively and repetitively consumes alcohol while displaying a significant preoccupation with alcohol. Those who have alcohol addiction meet specific criteria, as outlined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). Some of these criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Continuing to consume alcohol despite experiencing negative physical, mental, social, or emotional effects
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when unable to consume as much alcohol as is normally consumed
- Neglecting responsibilities at work, school, or home due to preoccupation with alcohol
- Alcohol is consumed in larger amounts over a longer period of time than originally planned
- Cravings to continue alcohol use
- Continuing to abuse alcohol, including in dangerous situations
Alcohol addiction, like most addictions, is extremely difficult to stop independently. In most cases, those who are addicted to alcohol require the care of professionals in order to safely detox and receive the most effective therapy. PHP alcohol treatment offers several services for those who are addicted to alcohol but who are looking to put an end to their active use. Continuing to abuse alcohol can lead to a number of negative effects that impact all areas of one’s life.
Effects of Alcohol Addiction
The effects that alcohol addiction can produce are expansive and even lethal. Those who find themselves addicted to alcohol run the risk of experiencing any number of alcohol-related consequences, all of which can change the course of their lives both for the moment and permanently.
For example, alcohol can create serious health problems, especially for those who have abused it for long periods of time and/or in high quantities. This specific addictive substance is infamous for how much it affects the liver and its function. The liver is not designed to properly filter alcohol when it is consumed in large amounts. Continually asking the liver to do a job it is not designed to do often leads to issues such as fatty liver disease, cirrhosis of the liver, and even liver failure. Additionally, when alcohol is being abused, it affects the cardiovascular system and its function. Individuals addicted to alcohol can experience high blood pressure and increased heart rate, both of which can increase the risk of cardiovascular issues like stroke, heart attack, and more. The respiratory system also becomes affected when too much alcohol is consumed. It can slow down, leading to respiratory depression, distress, and failure.
From a mental standpoint, drinking alcohol temporarily leads to issues such as confusion and loss of memory. But when someone is addicted to it, they can start developing more serious effects such as permanent memory damage, depression, anxiety, and insomnia. These symptoms only increase in severity with the more alcohol that is consumed. Unfortunately, many addicted to alcohol end up in a dangerous cycle where their use is causing these mental and emotional problems, but they continue to use to self-medicate these very symptoms.
Continued alcohol addiction can also lead to interpersonal problems, financial issues, and trouble finding employment. PHP alcohol treatment can offer individuals the appropriate level of care so that they can stop these effects from occurring before they start.
Why is PHP Alcohol Treatment the Right Choice?
Depending on your specific needs, PHP alcohol treatment may be the perfect choice for you. Not only does this level of care give you the freedom to still have an active life outside of recovery, but it also offers a number of other benefits. Consider the following:
- Focused care and support – PHP alcohol treatment is a very involved form of care. Despite being able to live at home, clients benefit significantly from the focused care and support they receive from the daily care they obtain. All members of their treatment team remain focused on the client’s care, allowing them to continually support them on their journey.
- In-depth therapy – The therapy that clients receive in PHP alcohol treatment is in-depth and effective. There is no time limit put on therapy, nor will anyone force a client to rush through their care. The mental health team at the PHP facility understands that everyone works at their own pace, allowing for therapy to remain in-depth while also fluid.
- Continued care options – Many people transition into PHP alcohol treatment after completing a residential treatment program. The same can be said about people who go from PHP treatment to another lower level of care. The options to continue to step-down and step out of treatment are available for those who are attending a PHP alcohol treatment program, giving them more opportunity to stand firm in their recovery.
PHP alcohol treatment may be the right choice for you if you are in need of treatment for alcohol addiction. Reaching out to your primary care physician, therapist, or other care providers can help you get started on determining if this type of treatment program is the best fit for you and your needs.
Alcohol Addiction Treatment in Knoxville
If you are struggling with alcohol addiction, there is no better time than right now to give us a call. Our team of dedicated professionals is ready to work with you to help you begin a life free from the confines of alcohol addiction. Do not waste any more time. Visit our website to learn more about our programming options.